10 October

Rett's Flower Square Pattern




Here's another pattern I have been working on. I'm making a granny square sampler blanket at the moment, making up my own designs as I go. This sunny flower has been one of my favourite squares so far, so I experimented with it a bit more, made some improvements, and ended up with this pattern.

Here's a picture of my blanket so far. I'm having so much fun with this project!


Anyway, back to the pattern. This is a similar design to my Flower Bunting Pattern. As I explained in that post, I'm very much a beginner at this pattern writing thing, so if you try it I would love your feedback.


Rett's Flower Square (UK terms)

I used 8ply (DK) yarn, a 4mm hook and 6 colours.

My finished square measured 15cm (6 inch).

This pattern uses UK terms, and the following stitches:

(US terms are in brackets)

sl st - slip stitch

ch - chain

dc - double crochet  (sc)

tr - treble (dc)

dtr - double treble (tr)

dtr4tog - double treble 4 together (tr4tog)

htr - half treble (hdc)
hdtr - half double treble (htr)


I haven't explained how to do these stitches, or join colours, as there are plenty of tutorials already out there for these things!




FOUNDATION RING: Using colour number 1, ch 4 and join with sl st to form a ring.

ROUND 1: Ch 3 (counts as 1 tr), 11 tr into the ring, join with sl st into 3rd ch of ch 3. Fasten off. You should have 12tr altogether.


foundation ring and round 1

ROUND 2: Using colour number 2, ch 4 into any tr from round 1, 1 dtr into same stitch. 2 dtr into each stitch to end, join with sl st into 4th of ch 4. Fasten off. You should have 12 pairs (24 dtr altogether).

Depending on your yarn and tension, this round may curl up a little. Mine "cups" a bit, but flattens out with the next round. If you find your circle curling too much, try using hdtr instead of dtr.

round 2

ROUND 3: Using colour number 3, ch 3 in the space between any two of the dtr pairs, 1 tr in the same space. 2 tr in space between each dtr to end. Join with a sl st into 4th ch of ch 4. Fasten off. You should have 48 tr altogether.


round 3

ROUND 4: Using colour number 4, dc in the space between any two of the tr from round 3 (I make a dc standing stitch to start this round), chain 3, *skip the next two spaces, dc in the third space, ch 3, continue from * to end. Join with a sl st to the top of the first dc. Fasten off. You should have 16 dc.


round 4

ROUND 5: Using the same colour as the last round, starting in any 3 chain space, ch 3 or 4 (to form first dtr of the cluster - usually ch 4 is used with dtr, but for these petals I find ch 3 fits the shape better), dtr3tog in the same space (this forms your first dtr4tog), ch 3, *dtr4tog, ch 3, repeat from * to end, join with a sl st in the top of the first cluster. Fasten off. You should have 16 petals.


round 5

ROUND 6: Using colour number 5, *4 dc in any chain space (I use a standing dc for the first stitch here too), 2 htr and 2 tr in next chain space, 2 hdtr, 2 dtr, ch 3, 2 dtr, 2 hdtr in next chain space (this forms a corner), 2 tr and 2 htr in next chain space. Repeat from * three times to form the rest of the square. Join with sl st to the top of the first dc, fasten off.

This part of the pattern is similar to Round 5 of the Flower Bunting pattern, so the diagram there might help, but please note that there is no ch 1 in between the sets of four stitches in this pattern.


round 6

ROUND 7: Using colour number 6 and working in any corner space, ch 6 (to form one tr and ch 3 corner space), 2 tr in same space, 1 tr in top of each stitch to next corner space. *2 tr, ch 3, 2 tr in corner space, 1 tr in top of each stitch to next corner. Repeat from * to form next three sides. Finish with 1 tr in the first corner space beside the starting chain. Join with a sl st in the 3 ch of ch6 (this becomes the 2nd tr of that set). Fasten off. You should have 24 tr along each side.


round 7

And that's it! I have made several of these now, so I think I'll make a cushion out of them. I'll share a photo of it when it's finished. 

UPDATE: you can see the finished cushion here.

I used Biggan Design 8 ply wool for my square, in the following colours:
Scarlet, Coral Red, Bright Orange, Saffron, Turquoise and Deep Turquoise.




I would love to see what you do with your squares!

Share them with me at:


Please tag your pics #rettsflowersquare so I can find them :)