Monday, January 13, 2014

to begin


I wasn't sure how to begin the new year, so I decided to start by finishing a few things.

A new painting... my first since July last year.  It seems I prioritised pretty much everything else over my artwork last year.  I'm determined to not do the same in 2014, but I'm being gentle on myself and beginning again by working on some ideas from last year.  Here's the sketch I'm working from at the moment, and you can see a little of the progress in the photo above. 


... and this blanket... finally finished!



 
My original post on Ravelry tells me that I started it over three and a half years ago.  I picked it up again last year, and finally finished it last week. 
 
The pattern comes from a lovely Japanese crochet book (more details at the Ravelry link above).  I adapted it a little by adding a join-as-you-go border in off white.  I also added a pom pom edging, from a pattern I found here.



Wishing you all a very happy new year... hope it's a creative one!

11 comments:

Alison said...

I just adore your use of colour - hope 2014 is a very creative one for you.

Ethne said...

How odd, your thinking feathers and I'm thinking feathers ;o)

Elsa said...

Love the colors you use ~ the blanket is so beautiful!
Looking forward to seeing what you do with your new painting ~ love the vortex of leaves!

Elsa said...

epp ~ feathers!

Janey G said...

that blanket is divine! happy new year lovely xxx

ShirleyGoldenDoodles said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ShirleyGoldenDoodles said...

welcome back - to us and to the new year, we have missed you. Your creativity and talent are awe inspiring and I am so drawn to your use of colour
the blanket is beautiful.

Marina said...

Your blanket is gorgeous -- what a satisfying way to start the new year!

Lucy Mclaurin said...

Stunning! Love the colours and the pattern.

emma from toadstool tales said...

Oh how I love your blanket ... Hexies and pom POM's ... In one place ... Two of my favourite things ever ... Inspired!!! Lovely blog too. So glad I found you! Emma

Unknown said...

I'm so glad ravelry linked to your work on their homepage! Just looking at your projects page brightens my day! Now I feel the need to order all kinds of color!
Liz