14 December

Things to Make and Do

Creativity is a highfalutin word for the work I have to do between now and Tuesday.
Ray Kroc

Tara of Scoutie Girl asked us, "why do you make?", and as it's been a little while since I wrote a post of any substance here, I thought I'd attempt a reply.

1.  Creating things with my hands appeals to me in the most basic and sensual way.  I love art materials, different textures, soft yarns, sticky glue, making a mess.  I really love to get messy.  I'm the same when I'm in the garden - bare feet wherever possible and no gardening gloves, dirt under my fingernails. 

2.  Creating is my language.  As a child I felt happiest when I was making things, and I always assumed that I would remain an artist when I grew up  (My bible was the Childcraft "Make and Do" book, hence the title of this post).  The logistics of making money and holding down a sensible job didn't occur to me back then, and when they did I wasted lots and lots of years on unnecessary tertiary study and sensible jobs.
(Actually, to be honest here, music may be the language I understand the best, but as I don't play or sing very well, I guess you could say I speak in art, but make sense of the world through music.)

3.  I am wishing for a utopian society.  I know that sounds silly, and I know that art and craft, or cooking, or fixing your own car, or carpentry or whatever it is you do with your hands won't magically create a better world.  But I also know that I would prefer to be the consumer of items that were made with love, and I would prefer to make a living while putting love and effort into what I do.  I want to live in a world that is personal and meaningful, and the strength of the handmade movement reflects that there are many, many people who feel the same way.

(My messy art desk this afternoon)