Saturday, April 04, 2009

latest projects



I finished the Babette blanket! It took 2 months to make, and I am pleased to be finished, and to know that I can complete a larger crochet project, instead of stashing it in the cupboard for years. It's lovely and warm, and now that the nights are cooling off I have fallen asleep under it while watching TV a few times...


When it was finished I used the Babette inspiration to make this pillow for Ruby in bamboo and cotton yarns - blatantly rainbow, and so much fun to make! It measures about 60cm square, and is backed with turquoise corduroy. Max has requested one also, so I'll share pictures of it soon.

I can finally share some results from the screenprinting course I have been doing. Apart from Gocco, I haven't done any screenprinting for many, many years. We went right back to basics with making our own screens and cutting stencils the old fashioned way, so I was excited this week to actually get down to the messy business of pulling prints. I still have a lot to learn about blends and heaps of work to do on my pulling technique, but I'm quite happy with the result. This one is a test print on cartridge paper, and measures approx 34cm square.


I think I may have been doing too much graphic design recently, as my artwork ended up looking quite a lot like a logo! I'm going to experiment with printing on fabric, and do some prints on better quality paper, maybe adding some machine stitching and other embellishment to "un-logo-ise" it a bit.
Speaking of printmaking, I have an article coming up in the next Scrapbook Creations magazine (due out in the next week or so I think) showing some easy printmaking ideas you can use in scrapbook layouts. I'll be back to share some pictures of some of them after the mag is out.
And although he's not a project, I have to mention Andrew Bird - my new music obsession. You can check him out below :)

10 comments:

Kath, Mark, Ruby and Max. said...

Gorgeous blanket and pillow.

Simply STUNNING print Loretta - I love it. My family name is Woods and our family crest is a tree, similar to this. Love the colours.

Beautiful.
x

Serene Ho said...

Love vibrant colors! You are really a skilled artist! All the best on your silkscreen and magazine article!

tintocktap said...

Gorgeous crochet - both your babette and the cushion! I haven't been brave enough to start a babette yet - it probably would end up stashed in the cupboard with only half a dozen squares done!

Mimiey FY said...

omg i love that blanket!!!

Giovanna said...

wow Loretta, great crochet project even MY mum would give the thumbs up to. Loved the PRINTING article and it's made me get out my lino printing stuff again!! Thanks xx

Rachelle Moore said...

Hi Loretta, how have you been??

I just LOVE your quilt it's just amazing and the colours - yum

take care

Rachelle Moore

Leanne Stamatellos said...

The rug is superb Loretta - you did a great job of it but I absolutely adore the cushion - that is super cute!

urban craft said...

the blanket is fabulous. Love the colours. Cool trees too!

Tzeni said...

it is so beautiful! just love the different sizes and the colors are lovley! both the blanket and pillow is to die for!

have a nice day!

Anonymous said...

Perfectly! All small pillows are charming!!!