Tuesday, February 17, 2009

bullshit

Example 1

Ruby (aged 11): Mum, look! Last night I had a dream that I shaved my legs, and feel how lovely and smooth they are this morning! (I love this one - when in doubt baffle them with something magical and completely improbable)

Example 2

Nic (aged 13, who is the world's worst liar and shouldn't bother trying, explaining why his phone credit was low): I think Ruby downloaded some games to my phone. (nice try Nic, maybe next time you should pick someone who is actually interested in mobile phone games and has an outside chance of getting hold of your phone.)

Example 3:

Max (aged 7), explaining why he needs to immediately swap taekwondo lessons for swimming lessons:
Mum, I've been thinking. It's a bit of a stereotype that I do taekwondo. It's a stereotype that boys should do martial arts. I think I should do swimming instead. And also, with all the trees that have been burnt in the fires, we could have less oxygen to breathe and swimming lessons will be useful because they will make me better at holding my breath.

I think we have a winner! Bit of a worry though, that the 7 year old is so much more creative, sincere and convincing in his bullshitting than his older siblings :)

Think I'd better go and book those swimming lessons.

9 comments:

Petrina McDonald said...

straight to the top of the class Max! Nothing like a bit of a current news angle combined with gender-based-stereotype awareness to win votes. Future politician perhaps????

Diane said...

ROTFL!
TFS
:D

Kath, Mark, Ruby and Max. said...

Max's story is very persuasive and lots of points to him for playing the current story/emotion card. But points to for Ruby for making you think that might have actually happened. I'd be taken in by that for sure! Nic needs to work a bit harder on the credibility of his stories.

So what was your BS story this week?
:)

Annierose said...

Don't you just love the "creative expression"! If only we could be less inhibited - I often feel like making up a good excuse when I've stuffed up, but my thoughts are not as colourful!

A bit of BS goes along way!

susan j said...

OMG!! I can't believe something that insightful came from a 7 year old. I am impressed with his ability to bullshit Loretta. Very impresed.

Karin said...

That is awesome and funny! Max seems like a really smart kid :)

Sherry - It's A Scrapper's Life! said...

LOL that is hilarious Loretta!!! so funny.. Kids!!! sad thing is that my 3yo is starting to come up with this stuff too Already!!!

Ngaire Bartlam said...

GREAT post! your kids are clever.. watch that Max... he has a bright future ahead of him.
:))))

Ngai
x

Steph Devlin said...

Loretta, that was too funny. I needed a laugh this morning .... congrats hon, its was enough to crack me up. Hope you are well and glad to see still creating beautiful art. (love the crocheting)
Steph xo