Friday, June 20, 2008

Sometimes you count the days, sometimes you weigh them...

"She just shrugs, and I remember again about the Balinese concept of "rubber time", meaning that time is a very relative and bouncy idea. "Four weeks" doesn't really mean to Wayan what it means to me. One day to Wayan isn't necessarily composed of twenty-four hours, either: sometimes it's longer, sometimes it's shorter, depending upon the spiritual and emotional nature of the day. As with my medicine man and his mysterious age, sometimes you count the days, sometimes you weigh them."

~ Elizabeth Gilbert, from "Eat, Pray, Love"

It seems that I've managed to fit at least a month's worth of activities into the last two weeks, And now I'm left feeling tired and overwhelmed. There are too many things to do and too many things I'm feeling powerless about doing anything about at the moment, and I just want to slow down for a while.
Byron Bay was lovely. We stayed in a cabin at First Sun, which is in the middle of everything - right on the beach and also in town, so we didn't have to take the car anywhere. Which is just as well, because I was reminded of why we gave up on staying in Byron and opted for quieter Brunswick Heads several years ago. The place is ridiculously busy, even in Winter. Tourists everywhere, and traffic beyond what a small town can comfortably cope with.

The food more than made up for the busy-ness, though. It's just as well I don't live there, as starting the day with a large flat white and dark chocolate filled doughnut from Byron Bay Organic Doughnuts everyday might not be the best idea. We had delicious sushi one day, and the woodfired pizza at the Great Northern was as good as I remembered.

We all loved Angus and Julia Stone, even though Max slept through most of the concert. We blame that on the support act, Victor Valdes, who was absolutely amazing on the Mexican Harp but just too damn relaxing.

Thank you to everyone who has emailed me or left comments on this blog about the Brisbane class - I really appreciate them! I'll put together the images of your layouts from the class and post them here very soon.

Forgot to mention in the last post - a huge thank you to Jill Geraghty-Groves and Ngaire Bartlam, who lent me sewing machines for my Saturday class when we had a courier problem with the other machines. I really appreciate you coming to my rescue!

Leunig - just for fun:

5 comments:

kayla renee macaulay said...

Hey loretta

I have just gotten back from the mainland to tassie after the convention in brissie (i stayed for a holiday)

just want to send a HUGE thank you for your awesome class..i had so much fun.

I have just finished my layout tonight....needed to wait till i got home to add the last bits of stitching on the tree, will have to take a pic and e-mail it to you to put on your blog.

I have posted the pic that alice and i got with you and ngaire on my blog to. ;-)

Oh and I had no idea you were a tassie girl. someone told me you were from penguin...that is right near me..I live in Forth but was in Ulverstone for a while.
Tassie is a great place but love QLD more..lol!

Thanks again for the great class

Hugs

Kayla Renee

Francesca Di Leo said...

Hi Loretta
I was stalking your 2P's gallery after seeing one of your pages posted. Wow - you make such beautiful works of art. Then I went to the creative therapy sight and lo and behold you're the guest artist! Anyway - just wanted to say I think your work is awesome... and keep posting, it nice to see works that are inspiring and different..

Francesca
http://francescadileo.blogspot.com/

Pecos Blue said...

Nice site. My first time here. Looking forward to seeing what you made.

Nae said...

love that cartoon classic!

Karen Day said...

just choo-chooing along with the KDD train :) thanks for unknowingly letting us gatecrash ur blog tonight:) we had fun here http://karendaydesigns.blogspot.com chatting about u and other scrappers :)