Saturday, May 10, 2008

this blog

has become boring lately....all pictures and no words. So - in the last few weeks:

Pete and I took the children to see Kate Miller-Heidke at the Judith Wright Centre in Brisbane. Ruby and I saw her in concert last year, but this was the first time for Pete, Nic and Max - and everyone adored her. She is a fabulous performer, quirky and fun and with an amazing voice - "punk opera" is a great description I read recently. If you get a chance to see her while she is still performing all-age shows at small venues like the Judy - do it! You won't be sorry.

(That's Ruby and Max, inspired to do their own performance)

Max turned 7 last Friday, and asked for a magician suit and an ipod (as you do, when you are seven). Fortunately for us, he refers to all mp3 players as ipods, so we got him a decent-but-still-within-our-budget one, and he has been walking around singing loudly to Kate MH and Mika ever since. Many of our conversations go something like this now:

Max: MUMMMMY!!!!! WHERE'S MY SOCKS/HAT/BOOK..????

Mummy: Max, you don't need to shout.

Max: huh?

Max: Ducks don't need satellites.....


(yes, that's an actual song)

Ducks don't need satellites
Ducks don't need satellites
They probably don't know they're up there
Ducks don't need satellites
They don't need satellites
They most likely think the sky ends blue

No need to think about the black
Give a quack, get a quack quack back
Even people give them that
Did you ever hear a duck say quack,
And say 'hello' back?

I have to keep pinching the mp3 player from him, and turning down the volume. Hopefully the novelty will wear off soon.

I'm researching overseas holidays seriously, now. Not in the usual mucking around kind of way, but in the "can we actually find accommodation for a family of 5 in Morocco (substitute Thailand, Mexico, Spain...)?" kind of way. Not in the usual "it would be more sensible to spend our savings on home repairs" way (we have an old house - the repairs are abundant, and will always be there). We've kind of decided - well, for this week anyway - that with oil prices rising, a holiday in the most far-away places we want to go might be a good idea to do sooner, rather than later.

I'm also crocheting a jumper for a tree (for those non-Australians, a jumper is a sweater). If you've been reading my blog for a while, you probably know that at the art gallery where I work, we organise a "tree jumper" exhibition for a winter festival called Jumpers and Jazz in July. Last year's tree jumper was a mammoth effort with a group of friends and our children, and consisted of lots of bird softies and french-knitted "bark".


the funky owls in bandanas, made by Juanita's daughter Lauren, were my favourite!
This year I decided to simplify and go it alone. But then I somehow ended up with plans to create two jumpers - one in crochet, and one nuno felting, both techniques I know very little about! So far I have started the crochet one, and have made lots of little circles. Every one is unique, because I invent the stitches (do you call them stitches in crochet?) as I go. I borrowed a book from the library called "Teach Yourself how to Crochet Visually", but even with all those pictures, I couldn't follow the instructions. So I just mucked about until I remembered enough from my early first lessons with my Nana decades ago, while trying to block out memories of all those wonky, half-finished granny squares of my childhood.

Here is what I have so far - and looking at this photo, I haven't come far over the years! Only at least now I am making wonky circles instead of squares.

The plan is to somehow join the circles with some kind of free-form stitching, then somehow make it into a garment for a tree :-).



And now that I have posted that photo, I will be motivated to keep going and prove to you that I can actually complete it! And if you would like to participate in the tree jumper exhibition and competition (there is prize money up for grabs), contact me, or visit the website.

No comments: