Sunday, February 10, 2008

So, what's been happening?

After anticipating this milestone for so long, I finally turned 40 - and survived! Thank you to everyone who sent me birthday wishes. I had a weekend of festivities (my birthday is the 25th Jan, so I get the Aust Day long weekend to celebrate), including a delicious lunch with my family at this place, which I can highly recommend.
Pete had to go to Brisbane for a workshop on climate change on my birthday, so I went with him and got to see the Andy Warhol exhibition -it's been so long since I spent time at the art gallery on my own. I was also able to have lunch with Ngaire, who turned 40 a day ahead of me - thanks Ngai, I had a lovely time!

I was thoroughly spoilt with lots of gorgeous presents - I'm so lucky to have family and friends who have such beautiful taste and talent. Here are a few of them.


Another milestone in our family - Ruby turned 10 last week.

Our gorgeous, messy haired, free spirit, rescuer of animals, collector of Groovy Girls, Mika fan - here she is this morning, dirty face and all!

We celebrated her birthday with lunch at Montezuma's - her favourite.

And at least they have colouring to keep the kids amused.


Pete was awarded the Veteran sports star of the year at a Sports Darling Downs dinner, for his achievements in touch football - we're so proud of him!
This is a terrible photo, but I'll post it anyway...



OK, this is a couple of months late, but I forgot to mention it in the last post. I took Nicholas to see Xavier Rudd in concert, as we both love his music. If you get a chance to see him live - do it! Such an amazing talent. He's a bit of a one man band - plays various guitars, 3 didgeridoos, drums, gongs, you name it. I didn't take my camera to the concert, but found this picture which will give you an idea - although he had even more instruments when we saw him!
Supporting Xavier was a Canadian singer called Jeremy Fisher, and I think Nic enjoyed his performance even more than Xavier's - he had a great sense of humour.

Pete and I are off to see The Waifs, John Butler and Clare Bowditch together in their Union of Soul concert this Wednesday - I can't wait! We've seen The Waifs a couple of times before, but it will be our first time seeing the others.

On the subject of Andy Warhol again (oh yes, I am so good at the smooth segue!), I've been rediscovering The Velvet Underground lately. Reminds me of my days as an art student in the 1980's reliving the clothing and music of the 1960's, much to the amusement of my parents. And if, as they say, everything goes in 20 year cycles, then it's only right that we should now be experiencing a 1980's revival, which will have aspects of that 1980's 1960's revival. Did that make sense?

And speaking of 80's revivals, it is alarming how much of the music Nic puts on his mp3 player is from that era, but not necessarily what I was listening to at the time - now I know how my parents felt about all that 60's stuff I was listening to! I could never understand how they lived through the sixties and weren't fans of The Beatles, The Doors or The Velvet Underground. I'll try to remember that next time Nic is playing Thriller...

Back to Scrapbooking:

I've got a couple of teaching dates lined up for the first half of this year, and I'd love to see you there! First one is at the first SIA (Scrapbooking Industry Australia) Trade Event in Sydney on April 8&9.

And in June I'll be back at the Scrapook Expo in Brisbane, sharing the Scrapbook Creations classroom with Ngaire.

Here's some recent work from the two peas garden that I don't remember sharing here, but I could be wrong. I was inspired by the way Kate Mason uses paper napkins in her beautiful work, and used a napkin and mod podge to cover the chipboard letters in this first layout.

Alternating with The Velvet Underground in my CD player recently has been Jack Johnson's new album, Sleeping Through the Static, so I'll leave you with this quote:

But you don't
Always
Have to hold your head
Higher than your heart

Love that.

3 comments:

Steph Devlin said...

Rett if you ever feel like blessing somebody with one of your "non photo" artworks ..... Im your woman. I am totally in awe of your artistry and detail and your concepts and subject matter are so introspective and facinating.

OK enough of the banter. I just needed to let you know that I really love your work.

Hope you are well and settling into life in your new town. Keep in touch hon.

Steph xo

Stine66 said...

STUNNING LO's I LOVE your style, and I'll be back for sure.

Anam_Kihaku said...

stunning stunning work - what punch/die do you use for your butterflys and may i scraplift ?