Friday, October 05, 2007

maybe

it was all those childhood hours spent reading Hilaire Belloc's cautionary tales, with titles such as Matilda, Who told Lies, and was Burned to Death. Or Rebecca, Who Slammed Doors for Fun and Perished Miserably, but sometimes I find a good self-indulgently sad story, movie or song so enjoyable.

I would have trouble finding music any more deliciously maudlin than Angus and Julia Stone on a good day (or should that be bad day?). A little while back, the children tried to ban me from playing their Heart Full of Wine EP in the car. I was actually enjoying the quieting effect that lyrics such as "You win, I'm sadder than you....." had on them, but they insisted that they were only quiet because the music was making them depressed, so I had to cut back a little.

And this would have to be my new favourite, from their new album "A Book like This". Love the CD artwork and handwritten lyrics, too.

I blame you hollywood
for showing me things
you never should show
a young girl in a cruel world
cos life's not a happy ending

I'm sure there's some
like Johnny and June
and maybe other people too

They all would have been killed
in The Sound of Music
la da da la da da
they would have found out that
Pinnochio could never tell the truth
she wouldn't make it to shore
The Little Mermaid

he would have married a whore from a wealthy family
after all he was royalty
Cinderella would have scrubbed those floors
till her hands grew old and tired

nobody would look her way

That's just the way it goes today

I blame you Hollywood
for showing me things
you never should show
a young girl in this cruel world
cos life's not a happy ending
I'm sure there's some
like Johnny and June
and maybe other people too

like me and you

Here are a couple of ATCs from a set of eight I made recently for one of our local artist swaps. The original artworks were some small oil paintings on paper I did many many years ago - dark little paintings of nightmare creatures. I liked the colours and brush strokes of the originals enough to keep them for a couple of decades, but not enough to frame them and stick them on the wall. It was fun to cut them up and add some of the 2007 me to them - I'm inspired now to go through some of my other old work I have stashed away!

I can't believe the school holidays have disappeared so quickly. We stayed home, and let visitors come to us, and the kids have enjoyed playing with their cousins. We have mulberries on our tree, so there's been quite a bit of mulberry pie making going on, too.

This pie's name was Mario. He was delicious, too :-)


We've been busy with a new project - a shared/community vege and herb garden on a piece of our land, which we'll be working on with neighbours and friends. It's a good feeling to be getting out in the dirt again. I love Spring - pity it doesn't last longer.

I was inspired by the scrapbooky/journal type of images on Jamie at Home, so I created a little album to keep a record of our garden. The papers are all cherryArte ones, from the poolside line.


And finally, what to do with those neglected Barbies?
(the pleasures of having brothers)

oh, and thank you for your sweet comments on my last post :-)

2 comments:

Petrina McDonald said...

We've been cooking up a storm with our mulberries too!

***tiffany said...

hey, thanks for the band link. its really good . your work is amazing, very inspiring.