Tuesday, April 17, 2007

art with a small a...

is the name of our trading card project at the art gallery. I originally came up with the idea after reading a article by Loretta Benedetto Marvel (still jealous of the cool surnames she has to go with her name!) in Cloth Paper Scissors magazine.

That article inspired the collage you can see part of in my banner up there^ , and then that collage inspired the name for the atc project. In the papercrafting community we've been making ATCs for a while, but in other arts and crafts areas they are still relatively new and exciting - it's fun to see them being made by local artists in all kinds of media. Here's a small selection of some of the cards I traded mine for at our first swap. Sorry about the reflections - they're in plastic sleeves for display purposes.

This was our tent at the peace festival, where we held the ATC group gathering, as well as a kids ATC workshop. We thought it was the prettiest tent there - someone on the day said that they felt like they were inside Jeannie's bottle!

We used the tea rose lanterns hanging in the tent in the lantern parade the next day - but I'll post photos of that next time. Here's Ruby, creating a trading card:


And here's me - swooping snippets??? Ok, must admit I'm mainly just posting this so I could show Ngaire my t-shirt - she was talking about them the other day. I very rarely wear pink - but I can make an exception for Perkin's Paste (and I needed to match the tent of course!)

Got my Scrapbook Creations today - what a great issue! Had a quick look tonight, and I love that there is such a good mix of new and familiar names doing the articles and step-by-steps each month. Love Danielle Quarmby's work, and especially her poem "The Grandma in the Girl". And Petrina McDonald's hand coloured paisley foam stamps have really inspired me - I want to dig mine out again now! Viv's journals are amazing, too.

Something weird has happened to my layout in the magazine and an inch or so has been chopped off on each side - so here it is!


And lastly here are some recent cherryArte layouts, using two of the new paper lines, Arcade and Kitty Lou:

The photo above was taken at the Scrapbook and Papercraft convention in Brisbane last year, where I had the pleasure of meeting so many wonderful people, including Donna, Jannah, Lorraine and Jeni. I can't believe that it's only a couple of months till the next convention - the time has gone so quickly.
And I'm very very very late in posting this, so it's old news now, but I'd like to bid farewell to Jannah - who is out there exploring the world right now - you'll be missed! And a warm welcome to Leanne Mezrani, who has taken on the role of editor at Scrapbook Creations.

7 comments:

Mel Diener said...

Gorgeous work Rett...I haven't got my SC yet grrrr.

Love all those trading cards, they look amazing.

I Scrap therefore I am said...

OMG - a mention on your blog - how exciting for me (blushing and grinning at the same time).
Those trading cards look like they were heaps of fun - jeanie's bottle look out!
Petrina :D

Ngaire said...

LOve the shirt!! and LOVE your work.
beautiful stuff as always babe!
nagi
xxx

susan j said...

Wowsers Loretta!! I'm loving those ATC's.

Chris Millar said...

Awesome, awesome work Rett!!! Super pic of you too!!!
Hey, guess what???? I'm booked into your class at the Scrapbook Expo!! Yay!!!

Leanne Stamatellos said...

what a lovely layout of the girls at last years scrapbook and papercraft expo - I can hardly believe it's almost here again. Hope to catch up with those familiar faces again.

vivian said...

great work rett!! love the look of the tent!