Saturday, December 23, 2006

In all this talk of time...

Talk is fine
But I don't want to stay around
Why can't we pantomime, just close our eyes
And sleep sweet dreams
Me and you with wings on our feet
~REM


Maybe it's the time of year. I love Christmas, but it's all so hectic, and I just want to run away! I'm getting that restless feeling that I often get when a new year is approaching. A need to explore new horizons - metaphorically, that is - I'm not actually going anywhere.

My apologies for not updating my blog sooner. Maybe I need to make a New Years resolution to be a better blogger? Not that I believe in New Years resolutions. Well, not in the traditional sense anyway. I tend to make New Years wishes, and this year it will be for peace, because that's what it is every year.

If I did make a proper resolution it might be to write the occasional letter. I was cleaning out a cupboard recently and going through old letters. I have kept nearly every handwritten letter I have ever received, and although I have had some lovely phonecalls and emails, it's a little hard to keep them. I guess you could print out an email and file it away, but it's just not the same as a handwritten letter. If you're the letter writing type, feel free to write! You can email me for my address. Let me warn you that I am not the formal letter writing type - more of a collection-of-random-thoughts-scrawled-in-a-card type.

A bit of a phenomenon that Pete and I have been noticing in our own lives and in society in general is a renewed connection between people. Perhaps we are all growing tired of the hours spent working toward our own individual goals and are seeking to make connections with like minded souls again? This clip has been featured on everyone's blog already, but here it is again - I could watch it over and over. Let's hope that the popularity of Juan Mann's Free Hugs Campaign is characteristic of a shift in thinking.



Because I haven't posted a lot of layouts here lately, here's a bit of a catch-up.
This is one I did for cherryArte, using the Burnish line of papers and new stamps. Love this quote from Brian Andreas.
Anyone can slay a dragon, he told me, but try waking up every morning and loving the world all over again. That's what takes a real hero.


A cherryArte Christmas collection. As you can see sewing with metallic thread has been a bit of an obsession lately!

Another Christmas set - this one for the BB portal.

This layout is in this month's Scrapbook Creations, but it's a little squashed in at the sides, so here it is in widescreen.

Another SC one, bollywood inspired. There's been a bit of an India trend lately in the mags. I loved Ngai's feature in FK last month, and this month's CK has a couple of stunning Indian inspired layouts.


Been noticing that scrapping my photos is a bit of a struggle. Which is bad for a scrapbooker, I guess. Still playing in my pile of paper and glue, though, so expect to see lots of non-photo layouts coming up in the mags and on here. I was thinking about this recently, so I went back over the pages I have done in the last several months, and found a bit of a trend since the beginning of August:

No photo layouts/other items: 15
Layouts with non-people photos: 8
Layouts with people who have their back turned to the camera or looking down: 9
Layouts with shiny happy people looking at the camera: 15

And the informal results of the study:

47 layouts/projects in 5 months (it really didn't seem like that many!)
I guess a psychologist might suggest that I have a need for privacy at the moment.
I'm not a very good photographer and need to make a New Years resolution to learn how to use my camera.
Yeah right.

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Loretta! Love your CA work, just brilliant! We took the girls to have Henna tattoos one school holidays and they loved it.
Have a fabulous Christmas!

janine kaye said...

hi, i have long been a blog lurker of yours..i think your work is stunning and inspiring, i love that your photos are so real and i think they are fantastic..i hope you have a fantstic christmas with your loved ones and that all your christmas wishes come true!!
MERRY CHRISTMAS

Nicole Finlayson said...

Merry Christmas Loretta.

I am a huge fan of that quote by BA too, it's so true and I love how you scrapped.

I wish for peace too.

Hope you and yours are refreshed and happy over the festive season.

Nicole xx

Leanne Stamatellos said...

Merry Christmas Loretta - all the best to you and your family - I hope you have a beautiful day.

Roz said...

Hope you had a lovely Christmas Loretta!!

Just love EVERYTHING you do! Photos or not lol! I have been a bit the same though- my camera has been having a nice rest lately- not good for a scrapper!!

Katja said...

I'm always amazed by the details in your work. Beautiful stuff :) Hope you had a happy christmas!

Anonymous said...

Oh Loretta...your stuff is stunning. I especially love the Indian inspired LO. What products havr you used for that?

Sally M

Mel Diener said...

Love everything you've done here Rett, your work always rocks.

Anonymous said...

Loretta, I was just blog surfing. I love your work it looks amazing. Very inspiring and creative...The photos are so real..

Happy New Year
Jody