Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I'm so lazy

(because I wanted to post this layout here as well as on the How Dare You site, so I just did a cut and paste)


Thanks for the great dare Karen, I had so much fun creating this!

I was inspired by Van Gogh's Starry Night, which is one of my favourite paintings. I love stars and using star imagery in my work, and the colours are so vibrant and beautiful.

The idea of "art with a small a" came from an article by Loretta Benedetto Marvel in the latest "Cloth Paper Scissors" magazine. Love her art and writing, and not just because we share the same name but she has a surname that actually sounds cool with hers..lol..

What she wrote really struck a chord with me, because for a long time I felt like the kind of "craft arts" I loved to do was not real art. It was too personal, too domestic, too insignificant. Over the years that I have been scrapbooking I have learned to love these little, personal art/craft works and have gradually learned to allow myself to put more of *me* into them at the risk of feeling vulnerable.

So I loved what she had to say:

"My art would never be Art with a capital A. But it could be art full of love and whimsy if I relied on my iconography pulled from the vivid particulars of my own small life."

and also:

"Art can be about matters great and weighty, and I thank God that there are artists and writers who tackle the moral and political strictures of the day and help me make sense of my own, small, ordinary life. But if you ask me how I am finding my voice, I have to tell you that it all dwells within and around me within arm's reach, and I am content to fling my prose and imagery at you like stars scattershot from an expanding universe. I hope you will do the same."
(Loretta Benedetto Marvel, Cloth Paper Scissors, Winter 2006)


I didn't journal on this page, but I may add some later. Or I may just tear out the magazine article and stick it in behind the layout in my album.

Oh, and this also (nearly, except for the sequins, thread and crayons), fits with the last dare (all one manufacturer). Pretty much all Scenic Route products. Lots of paper tearing, mod podge and machine stitching, and it's an 8x8 page.

9 comments:

Chris Millar said...

You're such an amazing artist Rett! Love this!

jacQ said...

you do such amazing layouts rett! :D Love all the stuff that you've done so far.... totally cool! :D

Rachelle said...

you are an amazing ARTIST Rett!!
thanks for the inspiration :)

Leanne Ryan said...

Love this LO Loretta. Absolutely awesome. Love the explanation too.

Carole Janson said...

Wow Rett this is just simply amazing, wow !!

Leanne Stamatellos said...

i'd like to see this layout in the flesh - it looks great !

congratulations also to patti !

Anonymous said...

Rett this is just gorgeous and I would gladly hang it on my wall- you are a true artist :D

juanita said...

Loreta this is gorgeous...can't wait to see it up close.

Nicole Finlayson said...

This is beautiful......