Monday, September 04, 2006

I'm waiting for my real life to begin

Anyone else ever get this feeling?

I know I've been pretty lucky in my life - and most of the time I let go of expectations and let the universe take me where I'm supposed to go. Things evolve naturally and sometimes surprisingly. And I can honestly say that I can't remember ever being bored - there's always some idea in my head waiting to come to fruition.

Well at least that's what I thought. I've had this realisation lately that while I am constantly learning and changing, and doing new things, I'm actually hanging on to lots of pre-conceptions about what I expect my life to be about. I picture what I want to be doing in the future, and believe that things will fall into place to allow me to achieve that picture. But that means that the life I'm living right now is sometimes invalidated, like I'm telling myself that it's not good enough yet. I don't let myself sit still in it and think, "hey this is ok".

So that's what this layout is all about. That and the fact that I was looking to finish up the 8x8 book of me I've been working on for the last year. Most of the pages are inspired by music, and I want to burn a CD soundtrack to put in the back. There are just a couple of songs that need to be on that soundtrack that I don't have pages for, and this was one of them. It's a beautiful song by Colin Hay, who I couldn't have cared less for in Men at Work, but whose solo stuff I just love.

Problem is, the page wouldn't be contained within an 8x8 square, so I can't stick it in there now. You would think that I'm the adult, and it's just a page, so I should be able to make it whatever size I want... Anyway, the song will still go on the soundtrack, I think. It's not like in years to come the kids will be wondering why it's on there. They'll be too busy wondering where they're going to find a CD player to actually play it.

so far I have:
Alameda - Fruit
Subterranean Homesick Blues - Bob Dylan
Crying Shame - Jack Johnson
Feel Like a Child - Jigzag
No Right Angles - Ben Lee
Whatever it is - Ben Lee
All Your Life - The Beatles
Hey Now Now - The Cloud Room
Tales and Truth - Fruit
Flesh and Blood - The Waifs
Attention - The Waifs
Waiting for my Real Life to Begin - Colin Hay

So here it is - and I didn't mention before that it was for a challenge set by Viv for the How Dare You site - to create a layout with the theme of "Focus". You're all welcome to join in - I'd love to see your creations :-)

7 comments:

Donna said...

An inspiring, beautiful sentiment and layout. I love everything you do, Rett. Love stopping by your blog and getting dose of reality mixed with creativity and vision. thanks so much for sharing. :)

Alison Shearer said...

Wonderful, honest stuff Rett. TFS

Alison

Rachelle said...

so beautiful rett!

viv said...

i know where you're coming from rett.. and love your take on the dare!

lusi said...

Great lo Rett!
You always inspire :)
Lus x

steph devlin said...

Rett, loved reading your reflections. A true artist always questions and is constantly rediscovering a sense of being.

Never stop questioning. It defines who we are.

Thanks for sharing where your at.

Steph xo

susan j said...

Love your way Loretta!!