Monday, August 14, 2006

stuff on my desk

I'm trying to have a bit of a clean up, so here are a few things I found on scraps of paper that are apparently important enough to have been kept for weeks (and even months in some cases). Thought if I put them up here, they can clutter up cyberspace instead of my place.

A favourite poem in our house at the moment:
Port Shoem by the Speverent Rooner (actually by Monty Python)

I've a gouse and harden in the country
An ace I call my plown,
A treat I can replace to
When I beed to knee alone
Catterfly and butterpillar
Perch on beefy lough
And I listen to the dats and cogs
As they mark and they biaow
Yes wature here is nunderful
There is no weed for nords,
While silling by my windowflutter
Biny little tirds.

Some quotes:

The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. (Frank Zappa)

Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men. (Martin Luther King jr)

He told me one time he forgot himself and his heart opened up like a door with a loose latch and he tried for days to put it all back in proper order but finally he gave up and left it all jumbled up there in a pile and loved everything equally. (Brian Andreas)

All that we are is a result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become. (Maharishi Mahesh Yogi)



Don't know why I have kept this thing for months, except for the fact that when I took it off the bottom of my new iron it made me laugh. I'd like to write that slogan on a placard and use it in a parade. For the Freedom-from-pointless-tasks-liberation-front. But sponsorship from Sunbeam just doesn't seem sincere for some reason...


While I'm showing you photos of my washing baskets, more evidence of this Where the Wild Things are obsession. I bought this t-shirt a little while back because it reminded me of the "...and the walls became the world all around.." line in that book. Isn't that exactly what a good book can do for us?
Bought it from threadless - they have some very cool t-shirt designs.


ok, back to the cleaning.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loretta, just had to tell you that they are making a movie of 'Where the Wild things are'. My son Jack has a friend who was called up to audition for the role! He didn't get it!!! It is being made in Melbourne apparently.

Love the shirt, and I love that book - one of my all time favourites!

Johannagoanna (Jo)

Nicole Finlayson said...

That shirt is fantastic and I too am guilty of hanging onto quotes and 'stuff' for inspiration. I've just started whacking them in an art journal so they can clutter that up instead. i like your idea better though. ;)

Nic xx

Rachelle said...

love all the quotes rett
and the shirt is too cute.
guess i need to find a
home for all my quotes
that are just lying
around :)
hope your feeling better :)
thinking about you girl!

Elizabeth M said...

I found it and read it to Isaac this afternoon... He said "mum you know I think that book is boring!" *cry* I said "well Isaac it's one of my favourites so you have to listen" lol

susan j said...

Where the wild things are is the coolest book. My kids love it too. I LOVE those t-shirts. I'm going to have to order some I think.

Marieke said...

I went blog surfing tonight and came upon yours. Just thought I'd say 'hi'.