Wednesday, July 19, 2006

How dare you #2

Loved this challenge that Audrey set for the How Dare You blog - to take inspiration from the amazing Teesha Moore. You can see Teesha's inspiring work on her website and blog. I'm absolutely loving all the amazing work that everyone is doing for this challenge. Please join in - we'd love to see your work! You can email your creations to Suse at wjohannes@iprimus.com.au, and we will add them to the slideshow on the blog.

Now - apologies to all those who will read this on the dare blog too - I am now going to do a copy and paste of exactly what I typed over there. Because, well, I'm lazy :-P

Not sure how Teesha-ish it turned out, or even if it's finished yet - it kind of just evolved. I've had this folding screen thingy from BB for quite a while, and decided it was perfect for this dare. It's quite large - each section is 12 x 18 inches - but once I started it I finished it in one night (don't look too closely, though!).

The quote is from TS Eliot and reads:
we shall not cease from exploration
and the end of all our exploring
will be to arrive where we started
and know the place for the first time


This quote is a special one for me, as I found where I had written it an an old art journal from 1987, and it relates so well to how I am enjoying exploring my creativity again. Back then, I used to create a lot of artworks that were inspired by the night sky, but I would have been too critical of the "cuteness" of this - so it feels kind of freeing to be 20yrs older and less self conscious, and happy to just create and have fun :-)






You can find the screens at blue bazaar, in the "altered items" section of the craft shop. I also used some of the gorgeous new cherryArte rub-ons. Apart from that, I just used black gesso, Heidi Swapp fuzzy rub-on stars, lots of patterned paper scraps, some oil pastels, stamps and staz-on, and a white pencil.

12 comments:

amberjane said...

That has to be the coolest thing EVER !! love it !!

lisavc said...

All the little detail and ATTENTION to detail is what makes this so beautiful

lusi said...

Love this Rett and love that you *rediscovered* this great quote and used it 20 years later...that's awesome!
Lus x

vivian said...

beautiful...

Donna said...

This is AMAZING! I love it. I love that it isn't exactly your conventional "Scrapbook" thing, but still in the same realm. I love that it is free and arty and fun. You are a star, Rett! :)

Carole Janson said...

Rett, this is absolutely unreal, I can't believe the time an effort into this, I truely love it. Just so gorgeous. I will have to get onto How Dare You and comment, but things have been a little hectic at the moment, but hopefully next week it will calm down. I wanted to do this challenge, but ran out of time. I am going to link your blog to mine.

Best Wishes
Carole.

Elizabeth M said...

Stunning Rett!!! Reminds me of Eric Carle :)))

Leanne Stamatellos said...

sounds like your holiday at the north coast was wonderful - well deserved I'm sure.

love that lo of Ruby - can't wait to see it in SC - it's probably even lovelier in real life.

this quote is so wonderful also.

Alison Shearer said...

This is fantastic Rett. A real treat for my eyes.

Thanks

Alison

jilly said...

Loretta this is just amazing! Wow!!

susan j said...

Like I said on the blog, this is freakin awesome Loretta. Hey, and thanks for putting up there how you made it too. You are too freakin good!!

coloribus said...

wow ! Gorgeous !!!! :o)