Monday, July 17, 2006

The beach in winter...

Just got back from a week on QLD's Sunshine Coast. We always go to the beach in winter - it's a less busy time for Pete and even though it started out of necessity, we've grown used to it now, and I'm not sure how we would cope with a summer holiday! Winter at the beach means you can be outside all day, which is nice. Pete and I read books and drink take-away coffee while sitting in the gentle sunshine and watching the children play at the park. This year we stayed at a place with a heated pool so the kids developed a little routine of swimming in the freezing cold ocean, then back to the slightly less cold pool, then into a hot spa. We were also lucky to catch up with Jeni and meet her lovely family, and although they would deny it - I am sure I overheard Pete and Al having a conversation about scrapbooking!

Anyway, back to the old routine now. I surprised myself by actually having lunches packed and uniforms ready so the first school morning ran smoothly. I am not at all a morning person, so this is quite an acheivement for me! If we are ready and organised and out of the house early I always get an uneasy feeling - like I'm going to realise too late that I am still wearing my pyjamas, or no-one had breakfast.

Which brings me to a book I found recently when I was looking for something else on my messy bookshelves - it was a gift from one of my sisters when I was first married, and is a book of handy hints by Amanda Keller. This book is possibly responsible for my exemplary housekeeping skills, so I thought I would try to share some of the hints here on my blog. Here's one for making those school day mornings a little easier:

Always running late for work in the morning? Well here's a time-saving hint. Just spread your toast with toothpaste. Two jobs with every bite!


OK, back to scrapping -

A huge congratulations to Nic Howard, who has joined the Scenic Route design team!! So great to have you on the team, Nic! And more great news - Scenic Route is holding a design team call - you can read more about it on the Pub Calls Blog.

The latest Scrapbook Creations is now out, and what a great issue! Lots of great layouts from the regulars as well as heaps of new people. I'm hoping to get time to sit down and have a proper read of it tonight.

Here's a sneak peek of one of my layouts from this month's Design Inspirations. It's always interesting when the mag comes out, to see what kind of stuff I was obsessed with a few months ago. This month's pages were a little silly, and heralded the start of a bit of a vellum phase for me, I think!



Thank you to everyone who leaves comments here - it was so nice to come home and check out your sweet messages. I have a lot of catching up to do with everyone's blogs this week!

8 comments:

Peta said...

ohh gosh now if i was a paper scrapper I'd be running to the pub calls blog to check that out - just because you always make me love their stuff!! [and also it would be so cool to be on a team with you and nic!!! LOL!]

Do you know all day today I wanted to go to the beach - have no idea why - haven't been there in over two years and I HATE the beach - so not a beach person - but I have a strange desier to go down their this weekend to sit on some beach and watch the sun rise... although I think I might have to settel for a sun set as Public transport wouldn't get me down there in time for the sun to rise ROFL

viv said...

good to see you back and posting already!!

Roz said...

Glad you had a lovely time!

And your work in SC was fantastic- as it always is!!

Leanne Ryan said...

I loved this LO in SC. You do vellum so well. I think you are/will be singlehandedly responsible for its second coming.

Cheers, Leanne

kathie said...

Love that layout with the little vellum flowers :). LOL about fearing you've left the house in your pjs. I can relate, not being a morning person either.
I wish I had the time to do the Scenic Route DT call. Alas... maybe another year.
Kathie

Chris Millar said...

This layout was brilliant in SC Loretta! Glad you had a lovely time at the beach!

Rachelle said...

glad to hear you had a great time at the beach :)

Nicole Finlayson said...

Loved your feature in SC Loretta, I especially love the hair layout. :D

Nic xx