Monday, June 19, 2006

Sad Songs

Don't you just love a good sad song? I love to indulge in a bit of melancholy music every now and then. For a while there it was James Blunt, or this one particular song by Jigzag. When I was a kid it was The Carpenters, or The Mamas and the Papa's "Monday Monday" (and no, I'm not that old - I just liked old music!!) There's something about music that allows me to be intensely immersed in a particular emotion, and sometimes sad is just what I'm looking for.

This is the one it's been lately. Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now. I heard it again when I was watching Love Actually a couple of weeks ago, and there's this great scene where Emma Thompson is listening to the verse about love. Pete and I share this obsession with aiming to have one of everything represented in our music collection, so I dug out some Joni Mitchell and found the song. Pete will say things to me like "Boney M!! Why don't we have any Boney M?" Or the next week it will be Barry White, or KC and the Sunshine Band or something.

Anyway, when I was copying and pasting the lyrics just now, I found out that the song was actually written by Neil Diamond. But I still like it. Pete may not though, when he finds out.

Here's the layout it inspired, for the Blue Bazaar portal:


Rows and flows of angel hair
And icecream castles in the air
And feathered canyons ev'rywhere
I've looked at clouds that way

But now they only block the sun
They rain and they snow on ev'ryone
So many things I would have done
But clouds got in my way.

I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down, but still somehow
It's cloud illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all.

Moons and Junes and Ferris wheels
That dizzy dancing way you feel
As ev'ry fairy tale comes real
I've looked at love that way.

But now it's just another show
You leave them laughing when you go
And if you care, don't let them know
Don't give yourself away.

I've looked at love from both sides now
From give and take, but still somehow
It's love's illusions I recall
I really don't know love at all.

Tears and fears and feeling proud
To say "I love you" right out loud
Dreams and schemes and circus crowds
I've looked at life that way

But now old friends are acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living ev'ry day.

I've looked at life from both sides now
From win and lose, but still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life at all.

- Joni Mitchell

4 comments:

Peta said...

HAHA Love the new layout and had to laugh at the idea of finding out the song was by Neil Diamond might turn Pete off it..

I think I might have to go look up some Joni Mitchell songs as I don't think - other then Love Actually - i have ever really listned to any...

Carole Janson said...

My goodness, you are absolutely amazing, love your style, it is so good to see another person who like scissors, as I love mine, love, love, love everything.

Carole.

Rachelle said...

fantastic page Rett
love those colors
everything is just
perfect!!
you inspire me
daily :)

amberjane said...

I used to sing that song to my babies as a lullaby - and love that layout too Loretta.